Kumbh Mela : Things to Know
Haridwar Kumbh Mela 2021
- Photo : Myjyotish
- Kumbh Mela 2021 will be held in Haridwar, Uttarakhand, which is one of the holy sites of this pilgrimage. The Kumbh Mela is returning to Haridwar last after the it took place in 2010, and it saw over 1.5 crore devotees and pilgrims.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said that Kumbh Mela will be held in 2021 despite practical problems arising due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- CM said that Kumbh Mela work will be periodically reviewed and efforts are being made by the state government to ensure that devotees and pilgrims do not face any inconvenience.
- The CM has sanctioned funds for various projects ahead of Kumbh Mela 2021.
- The CM has approved of Rs 17.34 crores for a surveillance system, for which Rs, 6.94 crore will be released in first instalment. Along with this, the CM has also allotted Rs. 15.46 Crore for purchasing material for setting up a temporary 1,000 bed Covid Care Centre and Rs. 6.18 crore of that will be released in the first instalment.
- Kumbh Mela is held in 12-year intervals, incidentally, in 100 years, this is the first time the Kumbh Mela is going to be preponed. Kumbh Mela Haridwar was supposed to be held in 2022 but it is preponed to 2021 due to specific auspicious dates and not because of COVID-19.
- Kumbh Mela 2021 will be the first in its history to be issuing e-passes to all devotees and pilgrims attending to ensure safety of everyone present.
- Ghats will be colour coded according to vulnerability and COVID threats. Ghats will be marked as Red, Yellow and Green zones.
- Pilgrims will be allotted time slots for bathing in the ghats.
- CM has ensured that the grandeur of the Kumbh Mela will not be compromised despite COVID-19 crisis, but cleanliness will be given special focus. Special focus to garbage disposal is to be undertaken in Haridwar and Rishikesh as well.