History of the Virupaksha Temple
The history of the temple from around the 7th century is continuous. Well before the Vijayanagara capital was located here, the Virupaksha-Pampa sanctuary existed. Shiva-related inscriptions date back to the 9th and 10th centuries. Under the Vijayanagara rulers, what began as a small shrine developed into a huge complex. Evidence suggests that in the late Chalukyan and Hoysala periods there were additions made to the temple, while most of the temple buildings are attributed to the Vijayanagar era. Lakkana Dandesha, a chieftain under the ruler Deva Raya II of the Vijayanagara Empire, constructed the enormous temple building. The chronicle of the Virupaksha temple from about the seventh century is unremitting. The Virupaksha-Pampa retreat here has been around for a long time. There are many inscriptions that were carved in the 9th century about Lord Shiva. It began as a small shrine and later grew during the Vijayanagara rule into a huge complex. During the later years of the Hoysala and Chalukyan sovereignty, there is evidence that suggests additions were made to Virupaksha temple. During the dynasty 's rule, native art, craft, and culture flourished during the fourteenth century. But these magnificent buildings and inventions were ruined when Muslim intruders crushed the Vijayanagara rulers. With the destruction of Hampi in 1565, the devotional Pampa and Virupaksha community did not come to an end. Even today, the temple is worshipped and has survived through the years. In the early 19th century, there were substantial renovations that included the addition of towers and ceiling paintings.