Haridwar is one of the 7th Holiest religious Place for Hindus situated in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand on the Ganga river’s bank, at the foothills of the Shivalik ranges. Haridwar is represented as a ‘rainbow’ of Indian Culture and civilization. This place is known as the “Gateway to God” and called by the names ‘Mayapuri’, ‘Kapila’ and ‘Gangadwar’ as well. The place is also pronounced as “Hardwar” by the followers of Lord Shiva and as “Haridwar” by the followers of Lord Vishnu. “Har-ki-pauri”, the bathing ghat known to have the footprints of Lord Vishnu imprinted on stone is considered as a chief object of pilgrimage in Haridwar. This place is considered to be blessed with the presence of three main Gods such as ‘Brahma, ‘Vishnu’ and ‘Mahesh’. It is considered as the center for ‘Dev Bhumi’ and ‘Char Dham’(Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri).
Out of four places where Kumbh mela is celebrated, this is one of the place where mela is celebrated after rotation of every twelve years where as Ardh Kumbh after every six years.
The day of “Maha Kumbh Fair”, is believed that the drops of ‘Amrit’(Elixir) fell into the “Brahmakund” of Har-ki-Pauri, known that on this day a dip which is considered as auspicious in the ‘Brahmakund’ and when once in a twelve years the Jupiter comes to the zodiac Aquarius, the “Maha Kumbh Fair “ is celebrated at Haridwar.
Other than mythology or mystic aura, this place “Haridwar” is considered as magic spell for the visitors:
- After being one of the oldest cities, its mention is found in the ancient Hindu Scriptures as the wave of time stretched from the period of ‘Buddha’ to the advent of ‘British’.
- Haridwar is also served as the best place for learning the arts science and culture other than being the place for weary body, mind and spirit.
- The city has its own unique charm and flavors that is its long-standing position act as a great source for ‘Ayurvedic medicines’ and ‘Herbal remedies’, its unique ‘Gurukul School of Traditional Education’ and its scenic beauty, greenery make this place as special.
- The Rajaji National park known to be ideal place for wildlife and adventure lovers is just 10 kms away from Haridwar.
- In the evening the ghats illuminate with the thousands of diyas(lamps) and marigold flowers floating on the holy water look extremely beautiful.
- Today Haridwar is also known for modern civilization other than having religious importance that is BHEL, a ‘Navratna PSU’ credited from Integrated Industrial Estate (IIE) spread in total area of about 2034 acres, established under SIIDCUL.
- One of the prestigious Institute for leaning in the field of science and engineering that is IIT Roorkee at Roorkee.