The day of Somvati Amavasya is a festival celebrated all over India, this day is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Amavasya comes in every month in which the moon god is not visible. The twelve new moons that fall in the year have their own significance and behind the celebration of each festival is associated with a well-recognized mythological story. The fortnight of moonlight begins from this day of Amavasya. Therefore, it is also celebrated as moon day and new moon night comes 12 times a year.
In Hindu culture, the new moon day is celebrated by following rituals and traditions. Amavasya night is the darkest night of the month. It is considered to be the most influential time of the year, hence the worship performed on this day is also very auspicious. Lord Shiva is pleased by fasting on the festival of Somvati Amavasya. Women keep the fast of Somvati Amavasya with the wish of their husband's long life.
Somvati Amavasya is a very holy day and coincidentally the new moon falls on Monday considered as the day of Lord Shiva.
In the year 2022, on Monday, May 30, the festival of Somvati Amavasya will be celebrated. In the year 2022, the date of Amavasya will start at 2:55 pm on Sunday, May 29 and Somvati Amavasya will end on May 30 at 5 pm on Monday. In this year 2021, this holy new moon day is going to come on Monday, April 12.
Negative thoughts are removed by worshiping on this day. Yagyas are organized on a large scale by the worshipers of Lord Shiva. The worship of this day should be celebrated according to Amavasya Tithi. This time has been told according to the Hindu calendar. The worship performed after this time is as fruitful as the normal worship. According to the Hindu calendar, a new day begins with the sunrise. Therefore, according to the calendar in use at the present time, this day is the period between two dates.
Story of Somvati Amavasya
According to the legend, there was a Brahmin family consisting of seven sons and one daughter. All the sons were married but the daughter was not married yet. Due to this the Brahmin and his wife were very unhappy. A monk often used to come to his house to take alms. The sage used to bless all the daughters-in-law and sons with a happy life, but at the time of his daughter he did not bless. Seeing this, the Brahmin decided to show his daughter's horoscope.
When the pundit saw the horoscope of that girl, there were inauspicious yogas of marriage in it. According to this yoga of the girl, even if her daughter gets married, she will become a widow. In such a situation, that scholar of astrology asked the daughter to go to the island named Singhal and told that there you will find a washerman who will tell you, its solution.
Following the orders of the Pandit, the girl went on a journey with her brother to reach that island. The road to the island was complicated. On the way, the girl saw a vulture's nest. There were vultures in that nest. A snake was roaming near that nest and in no time the snake started going near the nest. Seeing the life of the vulture's children in danger, that girl killed the snake. Then the vulture, after finding its children in the right condition, took that girl to the house of that washerman. While deciding this path, that girl also worshiped the Peepal tree.
After reaching the place of the washerman, that girl served him with full devotion and the washerman was very pleased with the service done by the girl. After that, in order to get rid of the inauspicious yoga of the girl, the washerman ordered the girl to observe the fast of Somvati Amavasya. Following the rituals prescribed by the washerman, the girl performed this fast with complete rituals. After which the washerman applied vermilion on the forehead of that girl, so that she became free from that inauspicious yoga.
Tricks to be performed on the day of Somvati new moon
• Omkar Mantra should be chanted on this day when there are obstacles related to the job. Along with this, applying mustard oil on the roti at night and feed it to a black dog. Due to this, the problems arising in getting the job and going on during the job get removed.
• To get the fruits of donating a thousand cows, one should observe a silent fast on the day of Somvati Amavasya. To fulfill his wish, after worshiping the Peepal tree, he should sit down and worship Lord Shankar.
• To get the money and grains, after doing 108 circumambulations around the Peepal tree and wrapping it with yarn, Brahmins should be given food with respect. In the end, one should take his blessings by touching his feet.
• If a person's money is being spent in unnecessary expenses, then on this day Tulsi Maa should be worshipped and the mantras of Shri Hari should be chanted. After worship, Tulsi plant should be circumambulated 108 times. On this day in the evening, after applying ghee and jaggery on the cow dung cake, it should be burnt, it benefits money.
• If a person is losing money in business, then he should put a spoon of milk in a well and pour water one rupee coin. This will start making profits in business.
• The people affected by Kaal Sarp Dosh should go to Lord Shiva's temple on this day and offer water to Shivling and offer it to Bilvapatra. After this one should worship Lord Shiva for the whole day.
• After getting up in the morning and worshipping the serpent made of silver, immersing his idol in running water also gets rid of Kalsarp Dosh.
• Worshiping a Peepal tree by lighting a lamp of ghee brings happiness and prosperity in the house.
• It is believed that crores of deities reside in the Peepal tree. Worship of this tree is considered very auspicious for getting good luck.
• On this day, if possible, one should bathe in holy rivers. If it is difficult for you to go to these pilgrimage places, then Ganga Jal should be mixed in your bathing water.
• After worshipping the Peepal tree, a yellow-coloured sacred thread should be tied 108 times by circumambulating it.
• Reciting Shani Mantra on this day is very fruitful.
• On this day the needy and poor should be given food and they should take their blessings by donating clothes and money. By which virtue is attained and all sufferings are removed.
• The day of Somvati Amavasya is very auspicious for Pitru Tarpan, so worship should be done in the afternoon for the peace of ancestors.
Significance of Somvati Amavasya
The festival of Somvati Amavasya is very important for Hindus. Special worship of Lord Shankar is organized in India on this day. All the devotees worship Bholenath ji and the fast is kept by following the complete rituals. This fasting story was told by Shri Krishna to Dharmaraj Yudhishthira in Dvapara Yuga. In many regions this fast is observed for the long life of the children. On this day one should not sleep till late in the morning and should not have sex.
Peepal tree should be touched only on Saturday, therefore, being a Monday, touching the tree should be avoided on this day. If a Peepal tree is accidentally touched, then at the end of the puja, during the prayer for forgiveness, the tree should be forgiven. On this day one should stay away from Tamasic food and should not consume alcohol etc.
Taking a bath in the Ganges on this day destroys all the troubles and makes life free from the obstacles that come. Along with bathing in the Ganges, bathing in other holy rivers also has equal importance. Amavasya day is considered very good for Pitru Tarpan, on this day worship is done for the blessings of ancestors and peace of their soul. The people suffering from Pitra Dosha organize special worship on this day. This day is very important for the worshipers of Lord Shiva.
Shiva Shankar very soon pleased with the worship and worship performed on this day gives his blessings to the devotees. Donations should be made on this day, charity done on the day of Somvati Amavasya gives virtue. Auspicious things are done on this day such as home entry, buying a new item or starting a new business etc.
Vastu Tips 2022: Get wealth and prosperity at your doorsteps with the help of peacock feathers