The mythical name of the Thiruchendur Murugan temple is Jayantipuram. Also, Thiruchendur Murugan Temple is one of the six main residences of Lord Murugan. Also, out of the six sacred temples, this is the only temple that is built on the sea shore.
It is one of the largest temple complexes in India as well as one of the most sacred temples in India. This is the fourth temple in Tamil Nadu to receive an ISO certificate.
The temple is located at the eastern end of Thiruchendur village in Tuticorin district of Tamil Nadu, India. The temple is 60 km from Tirunelveli, 40 km from Tuticorin and 75 km north-east of Kanyakumari. This temple is built on the banks of the Bay of Bengal.
HISTORY OF TEMPLE:-
Lord Murugan is mentioned in ancient Kanakam poems, according to which the temple was established in Tirruchsirailavayya, which was given the name Thiruchendur Temple.
The temple was under the control of the Dutch East India Company due to the ongoing war from Portugal between 1646 and 1648.
During these 2 years, the local people tried hard to get the temple free, but all their efforts were in vain. The temple was eventually evacuated by the Dutch at the behest of the Nayaka rulers.
While leaving the temple, the Dutch removed many of the sculptures, which were later returned in 1651 after a lengthy discussion and debate with Madurai Naikar.
In 1868 3 priests agitated for the purpose of collecting funds for the reconstruction and salvation of the temple. After this the temple was rebuilt in 1941. In 1971 more gopurams were also added here.
All the six abodes of Murugan are mentioned in the Purana. Thiruchendur is the second most important of these six habitats. The place is also known by different names, in Tamil literature and poetry it is also mentioned as Thiruchirailavai, Thiruchendhil and Thiruchendhiyur.
The main deity is worshiped in the temple with many names like Senthilandavan, Senthilkumar and other names. Five other Arupadividus, except Thiruchendur, include the following: Palani, Swamimalai, Thiruthani, Pazhamudircholai and Tirupparankunram.
Saint Nakkirar has also mentioned these deities and temples in his poems. The temple is built on the foothills of the hill called Velimalai at the southern apex of the Western Ghats.
This is the place where Muruga married his second wife Valli Devi. Thalavaralaru has many rivers, water bodies and idyllic places as well as many stories related to it in the Puranas.